Caledonia has a unique combination of old-fashioned fun and new creative adventures in store for visitors.
Caledonia, population near 3,000, is the Wild Turkey Capital of Minnesota and the heart of Quilt Country.
Start your visit in Caledonia with any number of seasonal activities. The Founder’s Day festival in June, the Houston County Fair held every August, the October Caledonia Balloon Rally & Turkey Fest, and the Winter Wonderland Celebration & Balloon Rally in December celebrate Caledonia’s motto: A City for All Seasons.
Our 4-H fair is the largest rural county fair in Minnesota, with bandstand entertainment, farming exhibitions, and midway.
After a local shopping experience and a meal, take the time to wind your way through some or all of the following: our historic downtown walking tour, the community swimming pool, biking, nine holes of golf, a tour of the local stave mill or Schech’s Mill, hiking, fishing, hunting, groomed snowmobile trails.
A visit to the new history museum/complex adjacent to the Houston County Fairgrounds is a “walk back in time.” History Lane includes these historical buildings: an old school house, pioneer cabin, church and town hall.
Caledonia can accommodate overnight visitors with our bed and breakfast, inn and motels. We are also home to Beaver Creek Valley State Park with primitive and modern campsites.
Caledonia boasts beautiful bluffs and scenic vistas, and we are just 15 miles west of the mighty Mississippi.
Caledonia’s claim to fame:
- We are the Houston County seat.
- Largest Pin Oak in Minnesota, located in the Evergreen Cemetery.
- Birthplace of the Kunst brothers, known as the “Earthwalkers.”
- Historic district includes the Williams Hotel and the Sprague Block – which are part of the Downtown Historic Walking Tour.
- Proclaimed the Wild Turkey Capital of Minnesota.
- Proclaimed the Heart of Quilt Country in 2008, with over 60 barns on the current self-guided barn quilt tours.
"Enter As Strangers, Leave As Friends." Overlooking golf course and located on snowmobile trail. 19 motel rooms with 2 beds. Free 120 cable stations
Free wireless. Free continental breakfast. Microwaves, fridges. No pets. No smoking. 24 hour cancellation policy.