The Froelich 1890s Village Museum is home to John Froelich’s 1892 invention of the first gasoline powered tractor able to propel itself forward and backward. The Waterloo Gasoline Traction Engine Company was started by John Froelich in 1893 and later purchased by the John Deere Tractor Company in 1918.
Guided tours of the museum include the Iron Clad Store, Warehouse, Train Depot, Blacksmith Shop, 1866 One Room School, Vintage Barn, Semi Building and the Froelich Tractor replicas. The museum is open Thursdays through Mondays from the second weekend in May through the last weekend in September, continuing through the first two weekends in October.
Come join our village for the annual “Fall-Der-All” celebration the last full weekend in September. This is a family fun weekend including tours, kids pedal pull, line-up of old tractors and single cylinder engines, and many old-time demonstrations that will take you back to the past “Good Old Days.” Great food and fun for everyone!
The Froelich Foundation focuses on the preservation of farm tractor history. They also take great pride sharing this rich historical heritage for many generations to come!